My Guatemalan Adventure

Monday, August 07, 2006

July 27, 2006

So much happened today, it's hard to know where to start. First, we went to the bank and changed our money. It was near this huge market place. There must have been a thousand stores there. Everything is so colorful. I bought a new hat for work. I wanted something to cover my neck because it is really burned in spite of the sunscreen.

We brought the good ball to the field today and played with a lot of kids from town again. Tyler kicked the ball over the far wall this time by accident and the kids were saying it was bad because there was a field of corn there. I asked if it was dangerous to go over there and they said no, but then I asked if they had guns and one of the kids said two men did. Then we didn't want to go. Then they finally convinced us it was ok so Tyler decided to go. He had to scale a wall to get it, but he did it. When he got the ball and got back over the wall, all the kids clapped. It was like he got a standing ovation. Very funny. The kids laughed a bit at Tyler's Spanish, maybe they thought his pronunciation was funny. I guess I'm a small step up because I get blank looks followed by slow recognition. Then I called him a silly American and they thought that was hilarious. Then I said "feo" which is ugly and he said "Hey! I know what that means! No! Say bonito!" and they really laughed at that too.

These kids are really awesome and they play their hearts out. They are all so good at soccer, too. We went to the main street of the village again and we saw a large group of people, a few adults, but mostly kids. When Karen asked permission to take their picture, the lady said sure, but then added "diez dollares". It took me a split second to realize she was joking but then we laughed. We walked further and there was this tiny little guy, not more than two certainly, with what I'm guessing was his grandmother looking out a window and he was saying Hola! And blowing lots of kisses. So cute!

I'm getting to know people in the group more and this group is so awesome. The people in it are really genuinely nice and friendly. They are also really thoughtful, intelligent, and giving souls and they have been a big part of what's made this trip so excellent. I feel like we got a ton of work done on the house today. It's really starting to shape up.

Also, earlier when we went to the bank, one of the guards stepped in front of me as I tried to enter the bank. These guys seem kinda scary and they have shotguns, so I was a little freaked out until he pointed to a sign with a cell phone and the circle-and-slash combination that everyone in the world must know. Duh. I was on a cell phone.

My thoughts are, unfortunately, not sequential, but also earlier Javier, the six-year-old was hiding. Jessie noticed him and she started calling for him like she couldn't find him. He popped out and said "BOO!" and she screamed. It reminded me so much of of my boys. Later, when we were all sitting down in the family room, Seaver said I think she (Dulce Maria) is afraid of me and so I asked her and she paused for a second, then said "I'm not afraid of nothing!" (double negatives are correct in Spanish).

Enough for tonight. We just lost power and I have my flashlight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home